I’ve been working so hard that I forgot to blog.
Now, for a blogger, that’s kind of pathetic. But I think it shows how off-balance life has been lately, so I’m setting aside all the To Dos for a bit to catch up with y’all.
Knitting For Fun and Profit
I have been knitting for fun, really I have! I can prove it:
That’s Bitterroot, all bound off and ready to block. The yarn is handspun, but not my own handspun. It’s laceweight spun by Abby Franquemont, and it’s this luminous, ever-changing green that makes me suspect it was hand-dyed as well. I think it’s wool, something Cormo-like by the feel of it, but I’m not sure and Abby didn’t remember what-all was in it.
I have a small ball of it left, maybe 100 yards or a bit more. Not sure what I’m going to do with it…yet.
I’ve also been doing work-knitting, swatching and swatching and charting and charting for a new circular lace shawl design. The design is called Demeter, and it’s for Holiday Yarns’ Mythic Lace Club. (And yes, the pattern will be available beyond the club later on. I’ll put it on Ravelry.)
This project is the one responsible for eating my life. It’s an ambitious design, the timeline was relatively short, and I have three other deadlines right around the same time as this is due.
So I’ve been throwing myself at the charting and swatching for hours on end. I did this design backwards from my usual method: Usually, I knit first and chart second. This time, I had specific ideas in mind and I basically used the charting software as a drawing tool to get the effect I wanted. Then, because Knitting Lies, I had to swatch a zillion times.
Those impudent, ill-behaved, mischievous stitches. On the chart, they look so innocent and well-ordered; knit them up and they do handstands and cartwheels and mock me to my face.
I think I’m getting the upper hand however. Best not to say that too loudly, I suppose. The stitches might hear me…
I think it’s going to be lovely. If I conquer the pesky stitches, that is.
There’s another project coming due, one that a group of us have dubbed the Karmic Geese. It’s a secret, so I can’t share details here. But suffice to say that one really important piece Wasn’t Working Out At All, no matter how hard some of us tried. I sent out the bat signal, and more help was obtained…but the help did not actually materialize for all sorts of reasons. Thus, I realized I had to pull rabbits out of my hat…and quickly. Hence, spinning had to be done.
OK, so it isn’t rabbit, it’s Perendale. Lovely bouncy 2-ply yarn that I spun To Fix The Problem. I also carded these for the second half of The Problem.
Left to right: Romney from deep in my stash, purchased when I first learned to spin at Straw Into Gold in Berkeley. (Really good memories live in that fibre.) Next, cinnamon Tussah silk, purchased at the same time and place as the Romney. Last is a chunk of BFL that I got at The Spinning Loft when I bought my Matchless wheel. Here’s how the batts came out:
I have several of these now, and a big chunk of it is already spun up into lovely textured singles.
The Perendale and the textured singles are going to be woven into The Solution. Again, this has a deadline coming up fast, so I’ve been spending a big chunk of time each day working on this. It’s going to work, and it’s going to be done in time, because I’m keeping it simple and not going all bat-crazy elaborate on myself.
I’m going to be really glad when I can show you actual photos of the whole Karmic Goose. Soon, my pretties, soooooooon.
I’ve got several spinning projects going at once, as usual. However, apparently I haven’t been good about labeling what was what, as I found out when I went to ply two bobbins of lovely coral….something.
I had spun the singles a few months back, and now that I’d gotten around to plying them, I had no idea what they were. Wool mumblety mumblety…but from where? Mixed with what? I searched my notebook, my photos, my blog, and came up empty. Those two bobbins hadn’t been blogged or photographed or anything, which is kind of unusual around here.
That made me think I ought to start being more of a Fibre Grownup.
I bought some tags (made out of recycled paper, yay!) and started putting them on the spindles on the spindle rack.
Next, I tied tags to my handspun skeins.
Front of each tag has the fibre and content and source; back of the tag has yardage and whatever else seems important.
It’s been a huge help! Although getting the spindles all organized made me realize that I really need a second spindle rack. (Yes, I have that many spindles.)
I want to assure you all that I have indeed been properly supervised during all these endeavors.
Woman punches bear to save her dog. That is one tough dog-loving woman. (Don’t try THAT at home.)
Someone needs to try this recipe and tell me it’s awful: Bacon Salted Caramel Brownies. Please. For the love of wool, tell me they’re terrible.
Of course it’s bigger on the inside: TARDIS sewing kit. Note the pins.
Every bridge needs a troll. I hope that little beastie gets to continue protecting the Bay Bridge for a long time to come.
And finally…Dusty said it’s his turn to have his photo on the blog. I hear and I obey: